- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: 1
- Ready in: 2
- Yield: 2 – 3 serves
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil(or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 X 14 oz container extra firm tofu , pressed & cut lengthwise into 6 even slices (*see note)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 3 melty vegan cheese slices
- 6 slices of bread , 3 or wraps (gluten-free if preferred)
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 cup of greens (spinach, spring mix, green lettuce, romaine etc.)
- 1-2 medium tomatoes , sliced thin
- 6 pickle slices
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
Tofu: To start, you will need to press the moisture out of the tofu. Place the tofu block on top of a few paper towels & wrap it up. Then gently press all the sides until most of the moisture comes out. Don’t over press. Cut the tofu in half and then cut each half into thirds, this will give you two slices for each sandwich.
- Season one side of the tofu with Himalayan salt, garlic powder, cracked pepper and turmeric. I just sprinkled it out of the spice jars. You will season the second side in the pan, when it’s time to flip them.
- In a medium pan, heat oil over medium heat and place the tofu slices, seasoned side down on the pan. While the bottom side is cooking, season the top side. Let the tofu cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until slightly brown and crispy. Now flip the slices over and fry the other side for 3-5 minutes. Now’s a good time to pop bread in toaster, if preferred.
- To melt the cheese, on a baking sheet, place 2 slices of tofu side by side, with a slice of cheese on top of each set. Put it in the oven on broil for 1-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted. You can also use a toaster oven.
- Spread mayo on both sides of the bread. Place the 2 slices of tofu with cheese on one side. Add the greens and tomatoes (sprinkle with Himalayan salt and pepper, if desired). Now add a couple of pickle slices and close the sandwich together. Cut diagonal
*This recipe will make 3 breakfast sandwiches. If you would like to make less, just cut the ingredients in half and store the extra tofu in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Original Source: Veganhuggs. https://veganhuggs.com/vegan-breakfast-sandwich/